How to Enable/Disable Run Dialog box in Windows
Run Dialog box in Windows lets you access program, files and folders by entering the corresponding shortcuts and path of the certain files and folder.
In Windows 7, the Run dialog box is absent in the Start menu. Run dialog box functions like command prompt, meaning it has the ability to do almost everything what the command line can do.
Note: Run command can be accessed using the shortcut Windows + R or click Start menu and type Run in the search box provided.
If Run dialog box is missing in your start menu and the shortcut key is not functioning or Run dialog box has been disabled then this article is for you.
In this tutorial, we will show you on how to enable/disable run dialog box in different ways.
Modify the registry value.
- Open Registry Editor (Regedit.exe) and navigate to:
- HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\Explorer
- In the right-pane, Create a new DWORD value, or modify the existing value, called “NoRun” and set it according to the value data below.
- Setting for Value Data: [0 = Disabled / 1 = Enabled]
- Exit Registry and Reboot
Using Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc)
- Click Start, Run or use the keyboard shortcut (Window + R), and type gpedit.msc and click OK.
- Navigate to User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar
- Double-click the Remove Run menu from Start Menu setting.
You will be prompted by 3 options
Not Configured – this will disable the setting, meaning Run dialog is enabled.
Enabled – this will hide the Run dialog from start menu.
Disabled – same with Not Configured option, this will also allow the user to access the Run command
Restart your computer.
Note: This setting affects the specified interface only. It does not prevent users from using other methods to run programs. Commands entered in the Run dialog can be also executed in the command prompt.
Solution 4: (for Windows 7 Operating System)
- Right click Start Menu > Properties
- Select the Start Menu tab and click Customize
- Check the Run command option