Create a program in vb6 that will allow the user to enter the address of the website in a textbox and open it in the default browser.
We will be using the ShellExecute Windows API (Application Programming Interface). ShellExecute uses the shell to open or print a file or run a program.
Let’s start the tutorial
- Kindly open your visual basic 6 program and select Standard EXE.
- In this program we need the following controls:
- 1 label
- 1 textbox
- 2 command buttons
- The design of the form will be
- Next is right click the form and select View Code.
- Then paste the code below.
Option Explicit Private Declare Function ShellExecute Lib "shell32.dll" _ Alias "ShellExecuteA" (ByVal hWnd As Long, _ ByVal lpOperation As String, ByVal lpFile As String, _ ByVal lpParameters As String, ByVal lpDirectory As String, _ ByVal nShowCmd As Long) As Long
This is the ShellExecute API that we’re talking about.
- Next is we will create a function that will open the site. Paste the code below.
Public Function OpenLocation(url As String, WindowState As Long) As Long Dim lhWnd As Long Dim lAns As Long ' Execute the url lAns = ShellExecute(lhWnd, "open", url, vbNullString, vbNullString, WindowState) OpenLocation = lAns End Function
- Double click the Open button and paste the code.
Dim i As Long Dim urls As String Dim indexpath As String indexpath = "http://" & text1.Text & "" urls = Trim(indexpath) i = OpenLocation(urls, 1)
- To close the form, double click the close button and enter the code
- Save the project and press F5 to run the project.